- Ages 17+
- score from ratings
Choose your experience
What is the Aviation English course about?
The Aviation English course offers you a thorough grounding in the range of communication skills needed if you are a pilot or an air traffic controller (ATC). It focuses first and foremost on pilot-ATC interactions in both routine and non-routine situations, reflecting both standard radiotelephony phraseology and plain English throughout.
In order to improve your English for aviation, you will follow the course with material based on real incidents, that reflects the best practices in the industry, with an innovative safety-first approach. From here on, your progress will be assessed regularly and incrementally by means of practice tests. In consequence, you and the instructor will be able to pinpoint the specific linguistic skills or subskills that need to be reinforced.
Finally, remember that you can also take our ICAO Test Preparation course to prepare for this Aviation English exam.
First of all, you should know that the Aviation English course at LAL includes 150 hours of instruction over ten weeks, which is five 180-minute sessions per week. Each week builds on the use of standard phraseology for reasons of contextual authenticity and to allow you to practise the transition between phraseology and plain language.
Next, you can verify the topics that will be included in each week of the English for Aviation course:
- Week 1: Language and communication in aviation
- Week 2: Ground movements
- Week 3: Communication on the ground
- Week 4: Runway incursions
- Week 5: Environmental threats
- Week 6: Level Busts
- Week 7: Decision making
- Week 8: Approach and landing incidents
- Week 9: Handling a technical malfunction
- Week 10: Reducing approach and landing risks
07 Jan – 15 Mar
18 Mar – 24 May
28 May – 02 Aug
05 Aug – 11 Oct
14 Oct – 20 Dec
Why should you take the Aviation English course?
- Be able to communicate effectively in English in various situations related to the aviation industry.
- Have plenty of practice handling emergency situations.
- Prepare to attain ICAO level 4 or higher English proficiency.
- We are the only language school in South Florida that offers this programme.
- We include off-site trips to flight schools.
- We provide an aviation lounge, exclusively for Aviation English students, equipped with a top-of-the-line flight simulator.
- We allow you to practice real life and virtual reality conditions.
- We maximise the use of technology in the classroom including the use of virtual reality