The Cambridge CELTA (Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults) is an internationally recognised life-long teaching qualification .
Each year thousands of people choose CELTA to open up a whole world of exciting English language teaching opportunities.
CELTA is one of the few qualifications that is recognised worldwide. It is accepted by all British Council and English UK language schools and by most reputable organisations which employ English language teachers across the globe. It is also accepted by the voluntary sector (e.g. VSO).
The CELTA certification is accredited at level 5 on the National Qualifications Framework (NQF)
To apply for this course, or for more information, please telephone +356 2132 0381 or e-mail email@example.com
The CELTA course is designed for people with little or no English teaching experience. It is a stimulating but demanding course, and lasts for 120 hours. During this time you will receive around 50 hours of input sessions, complete 6 hours of assessed teaching practice and spend 6 hours observing experienced and qualified teachers. It is a very practical course which will raise your awareness of language and learning, and give you a range of techniques to use in the classroom. You will be given plenty of help with lesson planning, and there will be tutorials to help ensure you are getting the most from your course. You can choose to do the course full-time or part-time; the syllabus for these courses are the same.
The full-time intensive course runs over four weeks (from 08.45-17.30) and is particularly demanding, but suits people who are keen to get qualified quickly. You will be teaching every other day, and will need to work most evenings and weekends on lesson planning and written assignments.
Applicants for these courses need to have a standard of education equivalent to that required for entry into higher education a minimum of 2 A levels or equivalent. The course is open to people from all language backgrounds. All participants must have a competence in English (equivalent to IELTS 8 or 9), both written and spoken, that will enable them to follow the course and complete all assessed and non-assessed elements successfully.
Is CELTA right for me?
CELTA is designed for those with little or no previous teaching experience as it provides you with the basic skills, knowledge and techniques and confidence to get started in the classroom. However, if you do have experience, the course will build on your experience and introduce you to new teaching methodologies and techniques.
The course is perfect if you are looking for a career change, want to live and work in fascinating places around the world, or if you just want to teach whilst taking a gap year. The CELTA course will give you the training you need to adjust to a dynamic new profession and your CELTA Certification will help you secure the best teaching positions.
What are the entry requirements?
- You must be at least 18 years old. There is no upper age limit.
- You should have the level of education required for admittance to university (e.g. in the UK a minimum of 2 A levels)
- If English is not your first language you need to have a minimum English language level equivalent to C2 on the Common European Framework (e.g. IELTS 8, CPE C or CAE A)
- An interest in other languages and cultures
What does a CELTA course involve?
The course covers the principles and practice of effective teaching and will help you develop:
- knowledge of the English language – grammar, vocabulary and pronunciation
- awareness of the learners – their needs and motivation
- practical ability to develop the 4 skills – reading, listening, speaking and writing
- familiarity with materials
- classroom management and lesson planning
- techniques and procedures to present and give practice of new language
You will have 50 hours of interactive input sessions.
You will spend 6 hours observing experienced teachers
You will teach for a total of 6 hours and be formally observed at 2 levels
You will complete 4 written assignments
Assessment is on a continuous basis. There is no formal exam. However, you need to pass the written assignments and teaching practice to be awarded the CELTA certificate.
Why study CELTA at LAL Torbay?
- Because our tutors are committed to helping you to become an effective teacher
- Because we listen to your feedback, act on your comments and strengthen the course.
- Because previous trainees have found the course stimulating and fun
- Because we have mixed nationality classes for teaching practice
- Because we employ many of our trainees and continue to offer guidance and support during their first experiences as a classroom teacher