Full details of visa requirements and the latest information, can be found on the website of the Malta Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
In summary, visitors with passports from the Schengen area do not require visas. These include Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain and Sweden.
Nationals of some states can visit Malta for up to 90 days without a visa. Should these ‘third party nationals’ want to stay longer than 90 days, they must contact the Department of Citizenship and Expatriate Affairs to apply for a long stay permit for a period of up to one year, or for the remaining duration of their course.
Other third party nationals requiring a visa to enter Malta for any length of stay must apply for a “C” type (short-stay) Schengen visa at Malta’s diplomatic missions and consular posts in their region if they wish to stay for up to 90 days (this cannot be extended). Where Malta has no diplomatic mission or consular post, third-country nationals may apply for a ‘C’ type Schengen visa at the embassies or consulates of either Austria, Italy or Spain with whom Malta has Representation Agreements. Applications for long stay ‘fixed term’ residence permits may only be made at Malta’s diplomatic missions.
When applying for a visa you will normally be asked to present the following documents.
- Two (2) passport-size photographs
- Application form (CEA/20) fully completed and signed
- Copy of all extensions given
- Letter of acceptance from IELS Malta indicating entitlement to admission and details on course being undertaken and/or extended
- Confirmation of payment of the course
- Confirmation of the place where the applicant will stay (hotel, family, friends,)
- Flight reservation to Malta
- Medical insurance valid for Malta
- Means of support (foreign transfers, bank account etc) amounting to the minimum amount of €48 per day for the duration of the course.